Facebook Pixel

1916-D Mercury Dime PCGS MS64FB CAC

2023-10-04 18:05:00
1916-D Mercury Dime PCGS MS64FB CAC

1916-D Mercury Dime PCGS MS64FB CAC

Jack McNamara's Live Auction Featured Coin

Thursday, October 5th, 2023


Join our auction live at 5 PM PST / 8 PM EST

on Directv 222, Dish 85/224, and Spectrum Shop Zeal One 

Or on our Website or YouTube


Our Private Advisory Coin Team has early access to our weekly auction coins. Pre-bidding is now open for this week's stunning selections. Call our Private Advisory Coin team at (800) 778-0624 to join our auction bidding. Your Personal Advisor can accept your confidential bid for this coin.


  • Mintage: 264,000
  • NGC Population: 65/36
  • PCGS Population: 107/71
  • Finest Known: MS67+ (1) – No records of ever trading, however a MS67 CAC sold for $204,000 in 2020.
  • Adolph A. Weinman’s winged-cap Liberty Head silver dime first appeared in 1916 and quickly became known as the Mercury Dime due to the bust’s appearance drawing comparisons to the Roman messenger-god Mercury.
  • The design was immeasurably beloved as soon as it was introduced to the American people and is still cherished by collectors today for its brilliant artistry.
  • It was President Theodore Roosevelt mission to reimagine all U.S. coin designs with the help of exceptional artists and sculptors through a process known as the Renaissance of American Coinage. From 1907 through 1921, all U.S. coin designs witnessed a facelift, creating some of the most beautiful designs ever seen on currency, the Mercury Dime included.
  • A majority of the silver dimes produced during the first year of issue were struck at the Philadelphia Mint (22,180,080), followed by the San Francisco Mint (10,450,000).
  • Meanwhile the Denver Mint on the other hand was an afterthought. Just 264,000 dimes were struck at the Denver Mint in 1916, the lowest single mintage in the entire series and the only date with a mintage under one million coins!
  • As such, it has understandably become one of the most important and highly sought 20th century coins across the entirety of numismatics.
  • Every little boy with the fascination of coin collecting in the 50s and 60s dreamed of locating a 1916-D Mercury Dime, even if it were in worn condition.
  • Today, more than 95% of all surviving examples certified by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) show signs of wear, leaving less than 5% in Mint State condition and even fewer with Full Bands (FB)
  • Amongst all Mercury Dimes, regardless of date, the most desirable issues are those with Full Split Bands on the reverse. To classify as Full Bands, each band that hold the fasces together on the reverse must be clearly and completely separated.
  • The present specimen is a sensational Choice Brilliant Uncirculated example of the Key Date 1916-D Mercury Dime. In addition to having Full Bands, this piece consists of attractive rainbow toning circling crisp champagne-white devices.
  • Locating a Mint State example is difficult enough but being able to acquire one with exquisite toning and Full Bands is precisely a dream come true.

Below are the two most recent MS64FB example to come to market besides the specimen being offered above: